The Los Angeles Lakers He will be in San Francisco on Sunday to face the defending champion Golden State Warriors For the fourth time out of six pre-season games. warriors who have They found themselves in the headlines for the past two daysAnd the will play without Stephen Curry, Clay Thompson and Draymond Green on Sunday.
While this game will lack the supposed star power of opening night, the Lakers should take advantage of this opportunity to set the tone against Golden State, who have every reason to participate in the scattered show.
But before diving into how the Lakers managed their first win in 10 pre-season games, can we take a second to appreciate the fact that the drama over the past two weeks hasn’t revolved around the one-time Lakers?
It definitely feels like a breath of fresh air we can all get used to.
Speaking of fresh air, purple and gold may have lost all three tuning games so far, but the product they presented at the stadium is It’s actually much better than what they showed last season.
I’m not sure the floor looked like this last year. Lots of delivery action for Bron with Nunn, and we expect that to continue with DS and Walker. pic.twitter.com/Z1yQ4T9mw9
Raj Si (RajChipalu) October 6 2022
This is something the Lakers need to build on.
That’s why Sunday’s game is a great opportunity for the Lakers to test their progress on the field. Personally, I will be watching the Lakers’ defense that focuses on coverage and how it can keep up with the Warriors’ impressive attack. It will also be important to learn more about how the Lakers implement the versatile 4-out-1-in attack and produce transition baskets against the Golden Sate’s top-level defense.
With three games left before the start of the season, the competition for playing time and roster positions (for starters and two-way contract signers in particular) is well worth keeping an eye on. Can anyone book a spot in the spin-off alongside LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook and Patrick Beverly?
So far, Kendrick Nunn, Wayne Gabriel, Austin Reeves and Juan Toscano Anderson have done well enough to prove the importance of enduring minutes. It will be interesting to see if Lonnie Walker IV and Damian Jones Thomas Bryant Or Max Christie can smooth over rough starts, or if Cole Swidder, Jay Huff, Scotty Pippen Jr. and Matt Ryan can prove they deserve a crack at the turn.
Sunday’s game should give us a clearer picture of that.
Notes and updates
- In case you missed the biggest news of the day, Yahoo SportsChris Hines reported that Lakers extended Rob Pelinka The contract is until 2026, when his deal is aligned with that of coach Darvin Hamm. according to ESPN’Dave McMenaminthe Pelinka extension was signed in early June.
- Lakers waiver Dwayne Bacon and Javante McCoy today, replacing them with guards LJ Figueroa and Shaquille Harrison on Training Camp Deals.
- The team also trained on Saturday before heading to Golden State. Davis, who was it Missed out on the previous two matches He was involved with a tight lower back out of precaution, while Toscano Anderson, who left Thursday’s game against the Minnesota Timberwolves with a right quadruple contusion, was stopped for treatment.
- The Lakers didn’t have any players listed on their injury report for Sunday’s preliminary game, but Ham said today in practice That Davis would be reassessed and could play against the Warriors. Meanwhile, Dennis Schroeder – who didn’t join the team in the first week of training camp due to visa concerns – is now with the squad and will be undergoing a team physical. Schroeder will not be available for Sunday’s game, but he will be able to take part in the rest of the training camp and pre-season matches, starting on Monday.
- On the other hand, veteran Andre Iguodala will join Green, Curry and Thompson on the inactive list. Green announced today that he will be taking an indefinite leave of absence from the team for at least the next few days and his opening night status against the Lakers remains uncertain.
- Going back to the constant problem the Warriors deal with, the organization is the same It said Undergo an investigation to determine who leaked it Video of his green punching teammate Jordan Paul to me TMZ. Earlier today, Green addressed the media for the first time after the accident, Details can be found here.
The Lakers and Warriors will leave at 5:30 p.m. PT on Sunday. The game will be broadcast locally on Spectrum SportsNet and nationally on NBA TV.