Losing your phone is a nightmare, but you might be able to find it again. Here are some ways to track and locate a lost Android phone.
Did you lose your phone? Do not panic. Unlike in the past, there are several ways to find your lost or lost phone. And you don’t even need to install any app on your Android phone to make it happen. All Android devices launched in the past few years feature an anti-theft system built in, allowing you to keep track of them if they are lost or stolen.
How to Find a Lost Android Phone
All Android phones and tablets come with Google Find My Device integration. This feature allows you to track the location of your phone or play a sound, so that it can be easily tracked when it is lost or stolen.
You don’t need to do anything to set up Find My Device on your Android phone. It is set up automatically in the background when you first sign in to your Google account on the phone. If you misplace your phone for the first time, check it out What to do if your phone is stolen or lost.
Your lost Android phone must be connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data for Find My Device tracking to work. Without internet access, you can only view the phone’s last known location.
- open the Find my device The app on another Android phone.
- If it’s your device, select your Google account and sign in.
- You can also use your friend or family’s Android phone to track the stolen phone. use the Sign in as a guest The option is in the Find My Device app and sign in with the Google account associated with the lost Android phone.
- If you have multiple devices associated with the account, select the phone you want to track from the tab at the top.
- Find My Device will try to track your lost Android phone. If the device is not accessible, its approximate last location will be shown. Click on I Next to the device name to get its IMEI number and last seen date.
- If your phone is out of place, use Audio playback Option to make it ring so you can locate it. Your device will ring for five minutes even in silent mode.
- use the safe device The option to lock the device and sign out of your Google account and display a message on the lock screen.
Do not disable location access on your Android phone, find my device depends on it. Without access to the site, it will not be able to provide an accurate location of your phone.
There are several ways to Find your lost iPhoneIncluding Apple’s excellent Find My app. The feature works even offline, so the chances of recovering a lost iPhone are higher than an Android device.
How to track your lost phone using your computer
You can access Google’s Find My Device service from the web on your computer or laptop to track your lost phone.
- open the Website Find My Device on your computer. Proceed to sign in with the Google account associated with your stolen or lost phone.
- Select the device you want to track from the tab bar at the top. By default, Find My Device will display the location of the most recently used device.
- You can track the location of your phone or play a sound to determine its location. If you can’t actually access your lost Android phone, use safe device Lock option. This will prevent the thief from accessing your data stored on the phone.
- If the chances of losing your Android phone are slim or there is sensitive data that should not get into unknown hands, use erase device erase option. You will have to enter your Google account password to confirm this step. But your device will only be erased when it is connected to the internet.
Apart from phones, you can use Find My Device to track your Wear OS watches and Android tablets.
How to track a lost Samsung phone
Samsung phones feature their own anti-theft and tracking mechanism, dubbed Find My Mobile. It’s similar to Google’s Find My Device but with some advantages.
Find My Mobile requires logging into your Samsung account on your Galaxy device.
- Go to find my mobile Website on your computer or phone.
- Proceed to sign in with the same Samsung account you use on your lost phone.
- The sidebar on the left will display all the devices associated with your account. Locate your lost phone from here.
- The map will then automatically update to show the phone’s last known location.
- If the phone is moving, you can use Location tracking Option to check its location every 15 minutes.
Compared to Google’s Find My Device, Samsung’s Find My Mobile anti-theft system also has some advanced features. You can retrieve calls and messages from your lost phone, track its location, and even put it in maximum power saving mode to extend its battery life so you can track it down for longer.
On newer Samsung phones, Find My Mobile supports offline searching. This allows your phone to send its location remotely even when it’s not connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data. The feature works by testing the connection of other nearby Galaxy phones via Bluetooth and relaying the location of the lost phone using it.
Can you find your lost Android phone using your phone number?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. There are no online tools available that allow you to track your lost phone using a phone number. Only law enforcement agencies have this ability because it may pose a privacy risk. So, even if you lose your phone with a SIM in it, you can’t track it.
Similarly, you cannot use a phone’s IMEI number to track it. You can try to contact your network operator or law enforcement agencies, because they have the tools to make this happen.
You can’t always track your lost phone
You can track a lost or misplaced Android phone, thanks to the Find My Device feature. But since the feature requires an active Wi-Fi or mobile data connection to work, it’s not guaranteed. A thief can remove the SIM card after your phone is stolen, which makes tracking it more difficult.
Therefore, it is always recommended to keep your phone safe in your pocket and never leave it anywhere in public places.