F1 teams are preparing themselves to get FIA announcement next Wednesday This will confirm which teams were below last year’s $145 million limit and which ones exceeded.
The arena in Singapore has been awash with speculation that two teams have gone over the limit, amid suggestions that one represented a minor procedural breach and the other a larger physical breach.
Fingers were pointed at Aston Martin and Red Bull, but both teams moved to overcome the situation.
Red Bull boss Christian Horner said: Sky F1 Friday at that time His squad that submitted their calculations were below the limit.
However, it is understood that subsequent clarifications from the FIA about which areas should and should not be included in the cost cap are central to suggestions that may have upset the team.
Late Friday night, the FIA released a statement insisting that its assessment of cost cap placement was ongoing and that it was too early to talk about rule violations.
She added, “The FIA indicates significant and unconfirmed speculation and guesswork regarding this matter, and reiterates that the assessment is ongoing and due legal process will be followed without regard to any external discussion.”
But while official confirmation of the situation will not come for a few days, Ferrari He urged the Board to be completely firm and open in how it approached this matter.
Laurent Meekes, Ferrari Racing Director, said: Sky Italia: “It is no secret now that two teams have violated the regulations of the 2021 budget cap, one by a significant amount and the other by less.
“We consider this a very serious matter and expect the FIA to manage the situation in an exemplary manner.
“We trust the FIA 100 percent. They have taken a very strong position in recent weeks and months on other issues.
“So we expect, in such a serious matter, that there will be complete transparency and maximum penalties to ensure that we are all racing within the same rules, because the impact on the performance of the car is huge.”
Laurent Mekes, Racing Director, Ferrari, at the team principals’ press conference
Photo by: FIA Pool
Mackes said that in addition to the importance of judgments on individual case, how the process proceeds from here was vital in helping teams understand the limits of the cost cap.
“Putting sanctions aside, the important aspect is that the FIA can demonstrate that there has been an increase in spending,” he said.
“Once that is done, at least then we have confirmation that these are the rules that everyone has to abide by. Then the topic of sanctions can be discussed in light of the impact of overspending in 2021, in 2022 and what will be in 2023, because it is Obviously, at the moment and the point this season where we find ourselves, there is also an impact on the next season.
“But as I mentioned, the most important thing, and one for which we expect the utmost severity and maximum transparency, is the confirmation of overspending, as well as the rules under which we must all race.”
If Red Bull is found guilty of a material breach of the rules last year, there are a range of options available to the FIA as punishment – which include fines, point deductions and up to the exclusion from the championship.
But with the end of the 2021 season already marred by controversy, it is inconceivable that the FIA would go so far as to alter the results of last season’s title chase.
However, Micks said that while such a move would be difficult for many fans to accept, he said it was most important for teams to fully respect the rules.
Asked about the implications of the breach on last year’s championship, and how it might affect campaigns this year and next, Micks said: “We understand that it could be an issue for F1 fans to reconsider previous results.
“However, it is very important for us to make sure that the rules are respected and that they are real rules and that if they are broken, real penalties should be applied. [And] If it is not retroactive to past violations, then at least for the future.”